Postgraduate research course
Accessible after a Master degree (or equivalent), the course lasts 4 semesters (3 semesters in Nancy, one in mobility) and delivers a Diplôme de spécialisation et d’approfondissement (DSA), (Diploma of Specialization and Deepening, DSA), Mention Recherche Typographique (120 ECTS).
Candidates can present a personal research project or join a pre-established program (2 to 3 programs are open each year). A strong articulation between theory and practice is recommended, and interdisciplinarity is encouraged.
Six candidates are recruited for each session; a € 4,450 research grant is granted to each student-researcher. The teaching staff is present on a weekly basis, while conferences and workshops led by external personalities are organized throughout the year.
|Culture and theory||06|
|Foreign language (English/FLE)||06|
|Workshop of Practice||18|
In some cases, students can pursue their research in PhD, co-supervized with partner laboratories. This is more fundamental and prospective research, built over a long period of time, from 36 to 48 months.
The ANRT is a partner of the SLTC doctoral school (University of Lorraine) and of the ED 472 of the EPHE.
- Typographic solutions for the digital humanities: designing specific alphabets, scripts or notation systems for scholarly purposes
- Typeface design for minority and/or ancient scripts, unencoded or about to be encoded in Unicode (The Missing Scripts)
- History of typography, especially in France
The post-master’s provides an outstanding environment for developing research, with the benefit of regular supervision by leading typographic designers. We teach both in French and English.
- Director of typographic research in attendance two days per week
- Regular invited speakers on typography / graphic design
- One-day sessions dedicated to guests and lecturers, visual artists and theorists
- Partnerships with research laboratories and academic departments developing joint research programmes
- Preferential access to documentary and other resources offered by ENSAD Nancy
- Some expenses related to research projects may be covered by ANRT
- Presentation and dissemination of students’ work (publications, exhibitions, etc.)
Opportunity for teaching experience: students can lead workshops to ENSAD Nancy’s students.